Camp NaNoWriMo is currently under way and, although I have been terrible at revising a story I started a couple of years ago, I saw this challenge on Life and Other Disasters and I wanted to do take part in it. I was reading some of my old stories last night and it inspired me to start writing again, so I am thinking I may start taking my revisions a little more seriously. To do the 777 Challenge, you share 7 lines from the 7th page of your WIP.
- “I forgot I was sitting in a freezing theater for a while, even when the man behind me kept coughing on the back of my head.”
- “I can open the door myself, you know,” she said lightly.
- Colette laughed softly and shook her head. “You’re the one who wanted to get dressed up and have a fancy night out.”
- The lights from the other cars on the street were starting to make her feel light headed.
- “Sure you’re okay?” Daniel placed the cold, wet wash rag on her forehead and she nodded numbly.
- He made a ‘hmm’ noise to let her know he was listening and flicked off the bathroom light.
- She would complain about him not putting them in the right place tomorrow, but right now she was too tired to mention it.
There’s something about sharing even a little glimpse into original work that makes me a nervous, despite taking writing classes in college, and posting fan fiction for years. Do you ever feel that way or do you like to share your unfinished works with as many people as possible? This part of my WIP will likely be taken out, but writing it was good practice for establishing some things for this story. I’m proud of what I wrote at the time, but I think I may be able to figure out a different way to write it now.