The last time I posted about what I’ve been watching was just over a month ago, but I’ve watched some great TV shows in the past few weeks. With Fall TV coming up soon, I wanted to be sure to feature them before those shows start.
- The White Queen – I had been wanting to watch this show for a couple of years, and I finally had the chance thanks to Amazon Prime (definitely check out a free trial if you haven’t!). There are some great shows on there, but this was the only one that I was able to watch in its entirety. This show was completely different from what I expected, in both good and slightly disappointing ways, but I ended up overall enjoying it. I was glad to learn more about The War of the Roses as well as a few historical figures that we don’t see too much about.
- Stranger Things – If you haven’t heard of this show before now, I’m surprised. It has been everywhere since it was released on Netflix mid-July and I wasn’t originally planning on watching it, at least not so soon. To be honest, the Steve/Jean Ralphio similarities being talked about on other sites is what got me to start it. Even so, there’s so much to the show that all of that is just for fun. It took me about 4 days to finish the show, and that’s only because I had to go to work. Just check it out! I don’t want to say too much. Going into it not knowing anything was the best decision for me.
- Top of the Lake – This show ended up being a surprise. I thought I would watch a couple of episodes Saturday evening and watch the rest throughout this week, but I ended up watching it all Saturday and Sunday. It reminded me a lot of The Killing throughout most of the show, and I loved that. I didn’t realize that there was going to be another season until after I finished it, so I will be looking forward to that!
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes – Am I the only person who didn’t realize that this was technically a musical? I would say it’s really about half a musical, but there are musical numbers other than “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend.” That took me by surprise in the beginning, but I ended up loving this movie. I vaguely remember seeing parts of this on TV when I was younger, but it was nice to actually sit down and watch the entire thing. Maybe this will be my new happy movie. And it’s a surprisingly female-positive film!
- Wish Upon a Star – This was one of my favorite movies when I was younger! Now that I’m older, I can’t believe that it’s a Disney movie. When I first decided to re-watch it, I was concerned that it would no longer work for me, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It’s full of those 90s references that still make Clueless fun to re-watch constantly, but also still has some good lessons that aren’t too preachy. You know, like love your siblings even if they’re not exactly like you? The basics. And it’s a body swap story, so that’s usually ridiculously fun.
What have you been watching? Are there any new TV shows coming up that you’re planning to watch?